- 1 red onion
- 2 green bell peppers (capsicum)
- 1 tomato
- 2 green chiles
- cilantro/coriander leaves
Spices + Miscellaneous
- toor dhal
- tamarind extract / dry (size of a lemon)
- mustard seeds
- fenugreek seeds
- curry leaves
- turmeric powder
- sambar powder
- red chilies
- Soak 1 cup of toor dhal in water for a minimum 2-3 hours.
- If you are using dry tamarind, soak it in warm water for an hour and then squeeze the tamarind to collect the liquid.
- Cook the toor dhal with turmeric. Mash the cooked toor dhal.
- Cut the onion, green bell peppers and tomato into medium cubes.
- To a pan add oil, sauté the onion until it turns translucent. Break the green chillies in two and add it to the pan.
- Then add the green bell peppers and sauté until soft. Finally add the tomatoes and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- As the vegetables cook, in a pot add the tamarind water 1 teaspoons of turmeric, 2-3 spoons of sambar powder and salt to taste.
- After tamarind come to a light boil, add the cooked vegetables and the mashed toor dhal.
- Let this mixture cook for 5-7 mins.
- In the pan used for the vegetables, add oil and wait till it is hot.
- To this add mustard seeds, 2 broken red chillies, asafetida, fenugreek seeds and optionally curry leaves.
- Once everything pops add this to the top of sambar and mix it well.
- Finally cut the cilantro leaves and top the sambar.